Academic Internship at the Democratic Party of Collier County
Marketing and Social Media Intern with the Communications Committee
Internship Description: Opportunity to develop your marketing and social media skills by supporting the messaging and outreach strategy and initiatives of our organization to registered members of our party and citizens of Collier County with regard to the major issues confronting our community, state and country and remediation proposals that deserve evaluation and consideration.
Value / Benefits for Interns: Work and network with a group of active and retired highly experienced business executives, multi-disciplinary professionals and academicians who are civic-minded, and socially conscious citizens with significant experiences across many industries, U.S. markets and geographies, including international and Hispanic markets.
Organization Background: The Collier County Democratic Party is the official arm of the Florida Democratic Party. Democratic Executive Committees all across Florida are precinct and county-based organizations with membership in each county recorded by the Supervisor of Elections. The Collier County Democratic Executive Committee is the official, local county arm of the Florida Democratic Party. The CCDEC has oversight over all Democratic Party activities within Collier County.
Our Mission: Since the 1930s, the Democratic Party’s core beliefs remain rooted in the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights, promoting life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for every American. We stand for equality, opportunity, and justice, creating a fair market-oriented economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthy and powerful. We’re committed to investing in our future: education, healthcare, infrastructure, and protecting our environment. We support a strong social safety net for those who need it most. Democrats embrace an inclusive view of our diverse society where every American has an equal opportunity to succeed. We invite you to stand with us.
Communications Strategy: The Collier County Democratic Party has recently implemented a new communications strategy that places a strong emphasis on highly qualified, focused, and active communications and messaging resources and action plans. These competencies reside in the Communications Team which is comprised of a Committee Chair and several committee members who have significant experience in the business and civic communities in Southwest Florida and nationwide.
Responsibilities and Learning Outcomes:
- Learn how to develop, implement, manage, and update social media and traditional media campaign plans, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, email, and text messaging with a focus on increasing awareness and engagement of target readers and citizens.
- Develop skills to analyze, compile data on readership and prepare reports on the effectiveness of social media communications with a goal to increase the overall growth of readership on diverse channels.
- Develop analysis and management skills to make recommendations to communications leadership to improve targeting, receptivity, and readership results.
- Develop management and collaboration skills with participation in weekly management meetings of the Communications Team as well as helping schedule, develop and prepare meeting agendas and reports on social media messages and their effectiveness.
- Learn how to enhance the development of messaging design and content, including the preparation and publication of monthly newsletters to a sizeable and diverse target audience.
- Develop skills to assist in the development, scheduling, and production of podcasts.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Marketing, Communications, and Social Media expertise – gained through an educational emphasis on these disciplines with demonstrated excellence in grade scores and achievements in coursework at FGCU (or equivalent).
- Strong communication, organizational and collaboration skills, and attention to detail
- Familiarity with and/or working experience with social media apps
- Major study focus: Marketing, Communication, Public Relations, or Journalism with enrollment in or satisfactory completion of courses covering Introductory or intermediate curriculum covering social media, public relations or marketing
- Strong interest and knowledge of current civic, social and economic issues facing Southwest Florida, the State of Florida and the United States
- Excellence in writing skills and experience with Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
10-20 hours per week, flexible with student course schedule, hybrid work environment
- No monetary compensation. Reimbursement for pre-approved expenses
- Mentorship opportunities and recognition of performance and achievements
To be considered, please apply directly to email@example.com