Academic Internship at the Collier County Democratic Party
Journalism and Investigative Reporter Intern with the Communications Committee ______________________________________________________________________________
Internship Description: Opportunity to develop your journalism and investigative reporter skills by supporting the messaging and outreach strategy and initiatives of our organization to registered members of our party and citizens of Collier County with regard to the major issues confronting our community, state and country and remediation proposals that deserve evaluation and consideration.
Value / Benefits for Interns: Work and network with a group of active and retired highly experienced business executives, multi-disciplinary professionals and academicians who are civic-minded, and socially conscious citizens with significant experiences across many industries, U.S. markets and geographies, including international and Hispanic markets.
Organization Background: The Collier County Democratic Party is the official arm of the Florida Democratic Party. Democratic Executive Committees all across Florida are precinct and county-based organizations with membership in each county recorded by the Supervisor of Elections. The Collier County Democratic Executive Committee is the official, local county arm of the Florida Democratic Party. The CCDEC has oversight over all Democratic Party activities within Collier County.
Our Mission: Since the 1930s, the Democratic Party’s core beliefs remain rooted in the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights, promoting life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for every American. We stand for equality, opportunity, and justice, creating a fair market-oriented economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthy and powerful. We’re committed to investing in our future: education, healthcare, infrastructure, and protecting our environment. We support a strong social safety net for those who need it most. Democrats embrace an inclusive view of our diverse society where every American has an equal opportunity to succeed. We invite you to stand with us.
Communications Strategy: The Collier County Democratic Party has recently implemented a new communications strategy that places a strong emphasis on highly qualified, focused, and active communications and messaging resources and action plans. These competencies reside in the Communications Team which is comprised of a Committee Chair and several committee members who have significant experience in the business and civic communities in Southwest Florida and nationwide.
Responsibilities and Learning Outcomes:
- Learn how to plan, develop, and publish effective monthly newsletters and provide content relevant to the organization’s mission and primary interests of the target readers as a Special Report Writer & Editor
- Learn how to collaborate and coordinate with other members of a Communications and Messaging team, including specialists in social media marketing.
- Learn how to approach and develop skills to communicate with local and civic authorities and leaders and gather information for news reports.
- Develop investigative and writing skills to produce timely and focused reports for social media communications (weekly) and newsletters (monthly).
- Develop skills to prepare monthly plans and campaigns for weekly and monthly communications on key issues designated by the Communications Team for its targeted readers.
- Develop skills to assist in the development, scheduling, and content production of podcasts, as well as preparation and orientation for podcast hosts.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Journalism and investigative reporting expertise – gained through educational emphasis on these disciplines with demonstrated excellence in grade scores and achievements in coursework at FGCU including JOU 2100 Journalistic Writing and MMC 3125 News Reporting and Writing (or equivalent).
- Enrollment in or satisfactory completion of courses covering journalistic writing and news reporting
- Strong interest and knowledge of current civic, social and economic issues facing Southwest Florida, the State of Florida and the United States
- Attention to details and strong organization, project management and communication skills
- Excellence in writing skills and experience with Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
10-20 hours per week, flexible with student course schedule, hybrid work environment
- No monetary compensation. Reimbursement for pre-approved expenses
- Mentorship opportunities and recognition of performance and achievements
To be considered, please apply directly to email@example.com